Houses in the "Pinzgau"
Krallerhof / Kraller Farm
Saalfelden / Mayerhofen, 1658
The Kraller farm is a mid-Pinzgau single-building farm. It is the largest farmhouse in the museum. The living area, threshing floor and barn are all under one roof. Over the years the farm was combined with the living area, which can be easily seen from the differing heights of the roof ridges. The original house was built in the 17th century.
Mittermühlsäge / Mittermühle Sawmill
Jeging / Abern, 1791
The Mittermühle sawmill is an example of sawmills that were used by farmers in the Province of Salzburg up to the Second World War. A sawmill with a technique as simple as this, was called a "Venetian mill saw". This type was probably developed in the mid-15th century in Venice, a reloading point for large quantities of wood. Due to the expansion of the lumber trade, this model then became popular in our region.
Zell am See / Thumersbach, 1569
In the year 1569, Niclas Khnoz and his wife, Salome, were granted permission to fence in a small piece of land for a little house and garden. The agricultural profit from this typical small Pinzgauer farm, called a "Sölde", was always so modest, that additional earnings for the family with a supplementary livelihood, such as day-labouring or even mining, had to be obtained.
Bamerhof / Barmer House
Stuhlfelden / Pirtendorf, 1595
The Bamer house, from Stuhlfelden, was erected as a block timber construction in 1595 and was extended to its present size today in 1633. The front part of the house was replaced by a natural-stone wall in 1795. The residential building is connected to the outbuilding by a covered passage. The house is shown here, in the museum, as it was at the beginning of the 1950s. It was a period in which the custom for domestic servants had gradually died out due to the mechanization in Pinzgau. The owners then began to rent out the excess rooms. The Bamer farmer had a small direct-current power plant and thus already had lighting in the 1930s.
Waagerstall / Waager Stable Barn
Mittersill / Schattberg, 1632
The Waager stable barn, from Mittersill/Schattberg, complements the Bamerhof as an outbuilding. Shown here is a typical Pinzgau Paarhof (two two-storey buildings). The Waager stable barn is connected to the residential building by a roofed wooden passage.
Pinzgauer Futterstall des Oberfurtlehens / Pinzgau Feeding Stall
Wald im Pinzgau, 1887
Feeding stalls in Salzburg are only common in the Upper Pinzgau District. On the ground floor of the building is the stall and on the upper floor is where hay was stored. The reason for the construction of the feeding stalls was that the transporting of the hay to the farmyard and of the dung to the fields, both being used as fertilizer, would not have been possible.
Wurfgrundalm / Wurfgrundhalm Hut
Wald im Pinzgau / Hinterwaldberg, 1746
The Wurfgrundalm is a house, to live in, on an alpine pasture. Next to the building, there was a stall that could not be reconstructed for the Museum. The Wurfgrundalm is a small house in an alpine pasture in a high region that was populated by animals from May until September or October. The sleeping area for the cattlemen was separated from the open fireplace and consisted of three beds.
Kollingkapelle / Kolling Chapel
Saalfelden / Mayerhofen, 1996
Like the Kraller farm, this chapel belonged to the Kolling property, in Mayrhofen. The reasons for farmers to build a chapel on their properties, were either a long way to the next church parish, a vow or simply the desire to have ones own, private sanctuary for prayers and devotion. The chapel in the Open Air Museum is a copy of the fourth chapel situated on the Kolling property that was renovated in 1975.
Hasenhochalmhütte / Hasenhochalm Hut
Weißbach bei Lofer / Kallbrunnalm, 1738
This alpine pasture hut is a so-called “Rundumstallkaser“, a unique development from the area of Berchtesgaden. Originally this development was a simple one-room building, (Kaser), where the sides of the roof were extended along the gutter, therefore creating a dry place for the cattle. Later, this round opening was closed, creating the so-called round-stall.
Schwendhütte / Schwend-Cottage
Unken / Möslalm, 1929
The term „schwenden“ refers to the process of keeping a pasture free of shrubs and young trees. Martin Haunsberger (1886–1978), used to cultivate an alpine territory of approx. 36 hectares up until the early 1970’s. Initially he lived at the Möslalm, but in 1929 this small hut was built for his convenience by the land owner. It was furnished with a bed, a straw mattress, a folding table and a brick-stone stove, the summer dwelling for Haunsberger and (from 1945 on) his wife, who was 32 years younger than he, and who gave him a hand with his hard work.
Mauthaus Guttal / Guttal Tollhouse
Grossglockner High Alpine Road, 1935
The Guttal tollhouse served as a control station on the Grossglockner High Alpine Road and was built at the time the road was being constructed. Originally, each passenger in a car was expected to pay a toll fee. The Guttal tollhouse also served as a notification center for anything that occurred on the road between Hochtor and Heiligenblut. The tollhouse was produced as an early prefabricated house. The toll attendant was also the leaseholder of the petrol station directly next to the tollhouse.
Elektrizitätswerk / Power Station
Grödig / Fürstenbrunn, 1913
The power station, in the open-air museum, is shown as it was in 1970. Due to the low water level, the power station is purely on display and can no longer be put into operation. The power station serves as an example, in the museum, of how electricity was provided to rural areas.